Saturday, July 13, 2013

Grammar of Life | Vilmarie Vega

As an experienced professional copywriter and editor since 2007, I am writing here to share some fascinating facts about my industry, language, and linguistics.

I am also promoting techniques that work for writers, both for creative and marketing writing. There is much to share and I aim to include only those things that writers and non-writers alike would find useful.

As a digital marketing and website content writer and editor, as well as a website search engine optimization (SEO) expert, I help business, academic, and personal clients phrase their ideas to maximize the impact and relevance of their content, as well as gain increased visibility through higher rankings on search engines such as Google.

***

Not everyone can write well, and some people even hate it or find it painful. I personally love writing and cannot live properly without it. It is a wonderful form of communication, and even when I speak, I use the same language, linguistic leanings, and linguistic intuitiveness, to express myself as clearly and as strongly as possible.

This is where my ten languages and ten years of the most rigorous linguistics and Classics education at places like Harvard and Brown, come in. These linguistic skills are all more than tools in my wheelhouse. They always give me freedom of creativity and expression to use in every single aspect of life, on or off the page.

***

Language and grammar knowledge can help with so many different facets of life. For example, my linguistics education has made me a better musician. Though I have played the piano for over twenty years, I am able to compose and play music at a much higher level than I used to now that I have learned ten languages. I have composed the score for an independent short film and have another score composition project underway.

Music, like mathematics, is a language. In fact, the piano, my preferred instrument, shows clearly the division between notes. There is no grey area; the keys represent tones that are on pitch, unless your piano needs tuning. The black keys and the white keys are markers of intervals, and the 88 keys on a complete piano or keyboard contain everything necessary to compose an entire symphony or more.

The notes you choose on a piano ring out as individual voices in a collective, and that is why you can write all the parts for every player of a whole orchestra with a single instrument.

For me, there is little difference between language, music, and math. They all have grammar, a structure which enables humans to use symbols and sounds to communicate. Linguistics is a key for me to unlock mysteries of words, musical compositions, and numbers.

***

To give a practical example of the benefits of grammar knowledge, take my Italian learning experience. I did not study it formally at first and yet I am to this day able to read, write, and speak Italian with a relatively high level of ease. I am currently in negotiations with an Italian artist from Rome to commission a piece for a project of mine. This is because I used grammar, and the languages that I learned earlier, to pick up and make sense out of, Italian.

It is helpful to remember that if when you are learning a new language you do not know a certain word, just refer to your knowledge of grammar and fill in a word with a similar meaning, even if it is a word from another language. That is what I do and how I got around Italy after learning Italian through pure immersion despite only visiting Italy for two weeks that year.

***

Basically, I am a lover of the word. I am a linguaphile, a curator of grammar and sounds, and I use words to the best of my ability to provide the best outcome in any writing or speaking project or conversation.

***

Ultimately, in my view, writing is like having a conversation with an invisible person that you cannot hear or ask questions of. You have to anticipate what they might say in response, what they might ask, and what might matter to them.

This is my job: To converse with an uncommunicative, unresponsive conversation partner. I will admit that I am successful at my job.

***

Perhaps more importantly, I now aim to help others write better for themselves. Yes, it may cause me a loss of some work in the future should I succeed in helping struggling writers with writer?s block or confusion, but that would be a great thing.

That is my goal, to help.

***

So, please do not hesitate to ask any questions, submit any problems or problematic passages, and even ask for specific help with writing and editing. I am here to help, and it wouldn?t be good to have no responses here.

***

I hope that this post has been of some assistance to someone reading this.

I also hope that someone out there reading this will take me up on my offer.

***

Please note that I am willing to, for no charge, edit one document of up to 250 words.

***

I look forward to reading your responses.

Please don?t hesitate to contact me for any help I might be able to provide.

***

All best wishes,

Vilmarie Vega

vilmarievega.com

Like this:

Like Loading...

Source: http://vilmarievega.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/grammar-of-life/

London 2012 Slalom Canoe Alex Morgan Misty May Treanor Marvin Hamlisch Megan Rossee grenada grenada

No comments:

Post a Comment